Our History

The steel industry has a long and rich history in South Africa and we are proud to be a part of it. Have a look at our timeline:


Aveng sells 70% of Steeledale to the Kutana Group. Renewed focus on the 9 business units within Trident

  • Coil Processing
  • Merchanting
  • Special Steel
  • Tube
  • Exports
  • KZN
  • Rosslyn
  • Eastern Cape
  • Western Cape

DSE relocates to Roodekop and is rebranded Aveng Steel Fabrication, a division of Aveng Trident Steel. In August 2016, the Pinetown branch is closed and KZN operations are consolidated in Prospecton. A new branch is opened in East London to service the Eastern Cape market.


ATS installs a new high-tensile cut-to-length line in Prospecton, Durban, mainly for the automotive industry.


The Aveng Group creates a steel cluster called Aveng Steel, inclusive of Trident, Steeledale (reinforcing and mesh) and DSE (fabrication) in Vanderbijlpark under the leadership of Hercu. The main aim is to optimise synergies between all the businesses, as well as restructure the operational capacities to equal demand.

Aveng Trident Steel implements SAP as a new ERP system which proves a real game-changer for employees. The company wins a Gold Award for the successful implementation.


Hercu Aucamp, marketing director at Robor, becomes MD in February. Aveng Trident Steel injects R150 million into expanding its facility in PE. This includes a 10 000m² extension to the warehouse and the purchasing and installation of a new German blanking press.


Tipten Terblanche, branch manager in Port Elizabeth, becomes the new MD of Trident Steel. During the worldwide recession in 2009, the company reviews its strategy to remain competitive in the ever-changing steel industry and rebrands as Aveng Trident Steel.


By 2008 Richard Martin has led the company to all-time high sales and profitability, where after he retires and immigrates to the USA.


Ben Fourie retires and is succeeded by Richard Martin, financial director.


Anglo Vaal decides to restructure and becomes Aveng consisting of Grinaker LTA, Moolmans, Infraset, Duraset, E+PC, Lennings, Steeledale and Trident. Trident Steel becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of Aveng. Ben Fourie becomes MD of Trident Steel. Aveng lists on the JSE.


Trident Steel makes huge strides in the automotive sector by acquiring three Baldwins Automotive Service Centres in Rosslyn, Struandale and Prospecton and opens new branch in PE.

Trident Stee 2012

Realising that their future growth is with the automotive industry, Trident Steel establishes a branch in Pinetown and soon thereafter in Cape Town.

1998 - 2000

Sterling Tube is acquired and operates from Strydom Park. It becomes Trident Sterling Tube and moves to Alrode. Around this time, Trident Steel also purchases Midrand Steel and a controlling interest in Namascor. It later amalgamates with Midrand Steel and relocates to Roodekop to become Trident Speciality Steel.

Trident Stee 1990

The Coil Processing Division (CPD) is launched.

Trident Stee 1980

Trident Steel led the way for a significant national industrial expansion, most notably in the automotive industry.

Trident Stee 1900

The Cutting Division is established. Eddie Rosenberg leaves the company and immigrates to Canada.

1977 icon

Anglovaal Industries (Pty) Ltd (Anglovaal Group) acquires 51% interest in Trident Steel with Ernie Behr keeping a minority interest.

Trident Stee 1950

Trident Steel moves to Roodekop

Trident Stee 1972

Trident Steel, is established in Wadeville, Johannesburg, by two men with an entrepreneurial spirit - Ernie Behr and Eddie Rosenberg.